Monday, October 24, 2011

The why.

Why blog about God?

Even thou, "one revelation is not Buddha", it all comes down to this text I wrote for my father's funeral (here translated from Swedish and slightly revised):
My father, God and eternal life.
 

What is God?
 

God is omnipresent. The love between us is always there and everywhere.
God is all-conquering. The love between us conquers all obstacles.
God is forgiving. The love between us, forgives our mistakes.
 

The love between us is God.
 
How can we live forever?

 
As we influence someone's life, we become part of the collective experience.
When we teach what we have learned, we will become part of humanity's collective knowledge, that future generations can rely on.

 
The collective experience and knowledge is the eternal life.

 
Dad lives on as part of God in eternity through the love, the experiences and lessons he gave us. Together with all who loved him,
taught him and shared his experiences with him.
This is essentially the conclusion of a thought process that started some time in my teens around the time a toke part in the Confirmation Training at our parish. Been brought up in an active parish, I have a active knowledge of the stories in the Bible. But at some point I started to question what I heard in church, "do I
really believe, that what the pastor is saying in his sermon to be true?". I didn't.

After that insight I stopped going to church. But my interest for philosophy was still dormant, waiting for it to come to life years later.
For a few years now, my passion for science has been getting stronger and at present turning more to philosophy.

The "Core Questions In Philosophy (Elliott Sober)", that I'm reading at the moment, is my first take at classical western philosophy. Earlier I've read about Taoist and Buddhist philosophy. I like the Buddhist take, to questions things.
Do not believe in anything(simply) because you have heard it.
Do not believe in traditions because they have been handed down for many generations.
Do not believe in anything because it is spoken and rumoured by many.
Do not believe in anything(simply) because it is found written in your religious books.
Do not believe in anything merely on the authority of your teachers and elders.
But after observation and analysis, when you find that anything agrees with reason and
is conducive to the good and benefit of one and all then accept it and live up to it.

Buddha (Anguttara Nikaya Vol I, 188-193 R.T.S. ED)
This blog is me thinking out loud about what I read in the aforementioned "Core Questions..." 


Note added July 26th, 2013

To clarify, I don't consider there being an entity called “God”, but that the abstract feeling of love and compassion constitutes that what religious scripts have simplified as “God”. “Act's of God” are altogether different, as being events in of the natural world that previous generations have lacked the knowledge to explain and thous taking the easy way by accrediting them to “(the) God(s)”.  

No comments:

Post a Comment